Phaser running over background state

BECOME PART OF THE COMMUNITY - Sign up here
  • I don't think this question was asked before, atleast I could not easily find it with the search function...

Is it possible to create a phaser or step recipe with relative values that are not position presets?

For example I would like to create a strobe effect where my lights will go from current value to zero (so that only lights that are on will strobe).

Another example would be a color effect where it will go from a background state to a defined color preset.

I kind of got it to work by creating a step recipe with presets by leaving the first step empty, but then the timing gets all wonky (no way to have a smooth transition).

I also tried by using presets with only relative values stored in them, but that does not work either.

• Hi Snabbelicios, maybe you can try play with cue part instead using the relative value.

Example, cue 1 part 0 base value, cue 1 part 1 phaser value, and you can set a fade or delay time for cue 1 part 1 to get a smooth transition. And also you can have a phaser value on cue part 0 and static value on cue part 1, so you can set a time for part 1 to get a delay or smooth transition.

Just need to take note cue part number highest will take over the lower part number.

Hope this will help and enjoy programming.

• Thanks for the tip, but if i understand correctly this is not a solution for my usecase.

The way I understand your explanation you describe a transition from a background state to a phaser, but that is not what I meant...

The way I would like it to work is that I have a background "layer" containing the base values coming from a set of base sequences (and a color picker), and have the phaser as another layer above that running as a 'transparent' effect. That way I can for example have a red background state, and a blue phaser effect and you would see a red/blue color effect. When I change the background state to green what you would see is a green/blue color effect.

Ofcourse I can try to set it up so that a macro runs and changes the preset used in the first step to be the same as the background state color, but that does not work in the strobe example in my first post because the intensity is not coming from a preset but from the master level of the intensity sequence. This is why I was asking for relative values in the phaser, so it would look at the current intensity level and apply a negative value on top. Really this would be like an inverse strobe, so instead of flashing to 100 for a 1% of the time it would be 0 for 99% of the time and let it go to the background state (the intensity sequence master level) for the other 1%.

I hope that makes more sense, and maybe somone has a solution for this :)

• Yeah I tried that but unless my syntax/method is wrong it does not work. It only works if you also store absolute values in the prese aswell, which I don't want...

I tried creating two dimmer presets with only relative values stored and integrating them into a phaser. I also tried using those presets in a step recipe.

• Update: I kind of got it to work, but when creating the phaser you have to leave the absolute values in place, and store it as a preset (in my case a dimmer preset). Then I select the lights and that preset and remove the absolute dimmer value and then it does keep working the way I intended...

Then you can store it into a sequence and use it as an extra layer above other sequences if you're priorites are right...

• I was able to store relative phaser in cue and preset directly.

I notice that if a sequence is running absolute values will be grabbed when adjusting relative. (And need to be cleared)

Not sure if this is correct since default values are not grabbed if no sequence is running...I would rather activate if needed.

• Hi Snabbelicious, I get you point and find out a way to work with. But still need to work with part.

Part 0 base value still the same, Part 1 or above phase value. But the way to create a phaser are a bit different.

Step 1 - the preset or output you want on the phaser; Step 2 - change the value to "remove" instead a value. So you can have a phaser value and base value at the same time. So you can change you base value and work together with the phaser value.

But take note, the first time when you store to part 1, part 0 value might remove. In this case just need to restore a part 0 (base value) will do.

So far i tested and it work.

• Hey Foon,

Thanks for the explanation. When you mean change the value to remove you mean setting the relative value? That is indeed what I was trying to get to work, and partly succeeded as posted above. My problems might have been that there were other sequences running as Ringen described, but so far the it has been working as expected...

Anyway, if I understand correctly, in your system both the base value and phaser have te exist in the same cue in the same sequence? It might be a solution, but for me it again does not work since all my values for different fixture groups come from different sequences to be able to control them seperatly (and it would be a major redesign to change that around). I'll see if I can experiment with it as it might be useful for some other system sometimes :) Again thanks for the help :thumbup:

• Hi Snabbelicious, if need to work between multiple sequences to have base and phaser value, just need to set a high priority on the phaser value sequence will do. And also can enable blind to update the base value without stop the look to update the base value.

• Hi Guys
    I make already this in a installation, work really cool and make a lot of fan, but take's a little moment to explain.
    Preparing:
    switch off all your sequences, all values are at default

I will create a color Phaser "game"

create a preset for your "phaserColor"

creating your seq:

select your fixture and activate the color absolute value, change to relative and set the relativ to Zero, go back to absolute and with "off" and pressing the Relative values deactivate the absolute values.
    and a step 2.
    integrate your "phaser color"
    store all this to a new sequence.

in the sequence settings set this sequence to high priority
    (this cannot be a preset first and must be stored direct to a sequence, as soon as you store this as a preset you will have absolut values in your step1)

create other sequences with your "base" colors.

in <3 with this phaser's.
    enjoy
    Crego

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!