Posts by Rex

BECOME PART OF THE COMMUNITY - Sign up here

To get an 'adjustable' beam angle in your Conventional/LED PAR[without using a DMX channel], you will need to change the model to one that has the 'ZOOM' attribute embedded within the model itself, outside the Patch. I do not believe there is a default fixture that will allow for adjusting the beam angle outside the fixture profile. You would need a custom model for the visualization.

As far as I know...to visualize split beams/PRISMA1 feature, you need an EFFECTWHEEL that references the 'images' of the split beams; much like a GOBO1 feature. This is how I know the MA system to function.

Currently, it seems, the Fixture Builder[v1.3.2.2] does not have an effect wheel 'Wizard'. There is the GOBO1 and COLOR1 constructors but no 'PRISMA1' wheel wizard.

You could hack this in if your profile is already setup to display 2 beams via an effect wheel.

Change the current slot image to be the 4-beam image file.
    Change the physadditional= assignment to 4 instead of 2, may need to adjust the 'spread' in physfrom and physto assignments.

Of course, you'll have to do this in an outside .XML editor since the FixtureBuilder doesn't accommodate this.

Good luck!

Is it possible to grab a 'range' of the first instances, second instances[as in 2nd Posting]...and not 'all' of them with the 'Wildcard'/*? Is there a correct syntax to grab a range of subFixtures? Or is it a 'layout'/Viewport Selection Order only for this type of grouping/selection? The "mi 1.N" solution isn't working for me...merely selects Main Module fixtures, not subFixtures. I can keystroke the 'ADD'/+ of fixtures to create a long string and that works, but that seems to defeat the 'shortcut' of "MI.".

Thanks!

1. Bring 3D Object into MS3D Scene.

2. Select the 3D Object.

3. [F4]Open Materials Window.

4. Notice 9 entry fields in Materials WIndow. Name-Owner Name-Diffuse Color-Diffuse Inking-Emissive Color-Emissive Inking-Specular Power-Texture-Visible

5. Diffuse Color column is where you make the RGB edits for the Object's 'diffuse' color value.

6. Double click inside entry field.

7. Notice Color Picker appear.

8. Select new Diffuse 'color' of the 3D Object. Close Color PIcker Window.

9. Smile at your brightly coloured 3D object now!

[Blocked Image: http://www.ma-share.net/forum/…ilename=Rex_StarDrops.jpg]Where star drop is visualized

Here's some Star Drop solutions I've been working on, 2 kinds. Single instance w/multipatch and Multiple instances[8]. Center panel is 3 x Martin QFX 150 and the 2 wings are showLED Chameleon 24 CH each. I got the Martin's 'twinkle' effect with some skulduggery...call it 'creative visualization' under limited resources, ;). LOL

Enjoy!

PS: I can fabric to your exact dimensions and channels for a AAA visualization, PM for details. Reasonable pricing structure.

I'm curious about gobos. I am having some difficulties creating a gobo wheel from the Wizard and using custom gobos. The Menu selection list of Mfgrs and custom folders doesn't seem to include the "user_gobos" folder for custom gobos. Merely placing a folder with that name does not make it appear in the dropdown menu list of locations. The Wizard seems to use the Carallon asset tree to populate the menu list? Merely placing a folder named "user_gobos" does not allow the folder or it's contents to populate the menu list. Also, the Wizard only seems to read .PNG filetypes? I don't see the .BMP media in the Wizard that is in the actual asset folders under Fixture Builder/gobos

Is it possible to demonstrate how to correctly load/setup a gobo wheel with custom media using fixtureBuilder? I find it easier to construct profiles using fixtureBuilder than the console. More areas visible at once to see the entire object and it's functions/channels, rather than paging thru menus in the console.

Thanks!

Great work on the multiple instance builder!!

I have problems with Fixture Builder 1.31 and my laptop as well. I create a profile, try to export to .XML and get a CTD/assertion error. This didn't happen with all other versions of Fixture Builder?? Only 1.31 doesn't work on my laptop which is odd because my studio machine is Windows 7 as well....and V1.31 works fine...exports .XML files.

I work in previz with MA2 and use DOT2 for testing fixtures and as free universe if needed.

Perhaps so, Nasula. I did combine the fine rez with the low one in the single attribute channel as Go-Button suggests because I have no experience in doing it 'split'. I was unaware that you need to fill the empty spaces with a 'dummy'...but I still don't 'get it'. This is not an 'unused' channel it's a split channel. I usually need a visual example to make sense of things.

With instances it's tricky with patching for me. You can use absolute patching in the module and leave the patch assignment out in the instance definition or you can define the attributes and then use the instance array to patch the sub fixtures. I struggle sometimes determining the route to the solution with patching.

PS: yes, I'm following along, ;). I do with many Threads/Posts at both forums, MA2 and DOT2

If you want this fixture to visualize the preset colors in the DMX chart; you'll need to use the COLOR1 or SCROLLERSELECT sub attribute and build a wheel for it. The control channels may in fact drive the unit on the stage, but to visualize 'colors' on a beam or LED surface in MA3D you'll need to use one of the correct sub attributes that control color visualization. The 4 sub attributes that control color visualization are: COLOR1,COLOR2,COLOR3,SCROLLERSELECT.

Good luck!

Rex

PS: and you won't get the 3 parabolic mirrors splitting the single LED source into multiple beams visualizing, you'll get a single beam that changes color.

This is a tricky visualization; takes a patch break to visualize correctly based upon the nothing I know about this particular fixture. I had to hack in an extra attribute to control the surface of the LED to align it correctly to the head with the troublesome rotation scheme of MA3D. Unlocking your modules is not a very elegant solution to visualizations...that data does not export with the .XML and you have to do it on a fixture by fixture basis in future visualizations. Visualization even has the strobe feature embedded within the Main Module model...is there a prize? LOL

Rex

Nearly any type of fixture can be visualized...if you ask, Rex, to do the work! FTW!!
    :P

Yes, I have gotten very close to a visualization. It will need a custom Headmover model, custom TILT2 model, and 2 types of LED model due to parenting a Headmover to a Headmover.

The instance order can be as you like; IE, how it appears on the fixture's head. There is no instance builder in the fixture builder. You'll have to hand edit the .XML profile to build the array yourself. There are differences in default models and custom models, in the way the instance array is written.

For example: Here's the simplest of arrays.

XML
    <Instances index="1">
    			<Instance index="0" module_index="0" />
    		</Instances>

It describes a single instance of the first[0] module described in the Module index to render.

Most fixtures consist of more than one module. To that end a second module_index is added. The descriptions for modules is above the Instance array, which is logical.

XML
    <Instances index="1">
    			<Instance index="0" module_index="0" />
    			<Instance index="1" module_index="1" />
    		</Instances>

This instance array describes 2 instances to render, a single instance of module#1 and a single instance of module#2.

This paradigm continues on. Describe the module and it's functions, then lower describe how many and where to render them. Things get more complicated with multi instance fixtures attaching[parenting] to other modules. You then need to assign PATCH data, POSITION data, and PARENT data for things to render correctly.

So, to continue for your example. Your instance array may end up looking something like this:

This is conceptually how to construct the array for a decent visualization. With default models it will look horrible because of the 2 default Headmover models. This is where custom models come into the picture. You create the shapes you need to point to. This goes a long way in creating a reasonable visualization to base programming upon.

Good luck!

Rex

PS: I hope this helps. With the parent_instance=, you'll need a custom model constructed correctly for the Class of fixtureType. Not exactly sure how you'd parent 'default' models together like this...I think they'll default parent to the main module and that's not what you want rendering... That's a question for Lars!

Johannes: Indeed you are correct for getting the profile to control the fixture on the stage...I speak for the MA3D visualization which, I think, most folks really want as well as the fixture controller information. Also, my opinion, that profiles should be written to be as 'visualizer-friendly' as they can be. You perhaps may not always have access to a shop with spare fixtures lying about. MA3D is the next best thing...

Also, a question about the way this OP fixture's DMX chart is structured and how do you cope with this situation, in the actual .XML and that goes a long way in helping me determine the visual side of things. The fine resolution DMX data is separated from the low resolution DMX data by another attribute/channel and not just an extension of the range. It's an extension of the range as well as a different index position and that confuses me. Do you double up the low rez data with fine rez into the first Channel of PAN because you can't specify a duplicated attribute, use a 'dummy'/virtual channel, or something equally swanky/clever? It seemed very strange to see this fixture's DMX chart structured in this way; unlike most 8bit/16bit channel profiles. I'm always trying to determine between what the fixture needs to see in the way of namingConvention compared with the straight DMX links. I assume most of the names are for the console side of things...not necessarily what the fixture on the bench needs to function properly?

Thanks!

Depending upon the .XML profile and how it's written, I would say you'll need a Main Module with PAN and the other master controls. Then 2 TILT modules that you would build with TILT and whatever controls they get as masters. Then a RGB Module that 5 instances will parent to TILT1 instance and 5 instances that will parent to TILT2 instance. You'll be parenting a module to a parented module; good luck with that. This all depends upon how the .XML and fixtureProfile is structured. I've put 5 TILTING DIMS on a single PAN fixture, so I know this is possible; it's in the fine details of a fixture I've never physically seen before is the unknown part. This will take hours to proof out...but the fixture seemed simple enough to figure out and get rendering. Just getting the profile working on the actual fixture will take some doing, let alone building the 3D models to accomplish a double parent.

Good luck!

Hold on there, Lars, not so fast. Rewriting the profile for better visualization isn't needed[can sometimes achieve fair results]; better art is by the console, imho. Yes, I agree, getting proper visualizations from the default models in the console is sometimes nearly impossible. To this end, I've attached a desk generated .XML in V3.3 of GMA2 that I embedded custom geometry into. I had just finished an example scene of that type of 'Headmover' that isn't in the console's library of models. I even zazzed up the Main Module model to include an LED surface that works with the STROBE function, since it's written into that module. You also get individual pixels with COLOR and TILT.

Enjoy....

Rex

I noticed some odd patch collision when I tested the fixture, but once I left Patch, the fixture seemed to function as intended. Remember, this was a console generated .XML that I just added art to, me no write the details of functions and patching. The array was close enough to the one I established, so I think I left it 'as is'. I will sort out your art, patching and the .XML you'll need to ask someone else.

Not for selection in the 'Wizard' for pathing; no... I've found that I need to utilize the 'Fixture Builder' and an IDE or text editor to 'tweek'/'nudge' things along. Use the Wizard to populate/construct the wheels; then edit to the proper path to the asset. You would think 'Misc' heading might be the "user_gobos" folder but I think not.