Posts by Rex

BECOME PART OF THE COMMUNITY - Sign up here

Not really; 3D assets were not meant to be extracted/exported from MA2 or MA3; I believe....having said that:

Perhaps thru some wacky roundabout way you might be able to achieve this; like exporting a created fixture[using your environmental asset/3D models] type as a GDTF and drilling down into that file type once Exported from MA3. GDTF is a 'zip' format[last I tried this], so you'd have to unpack/unzip the GDTF file into it's subfolders of assets and dig thru those to find the actual 3D models that get exported. The GDTF online fixture builder parses 3D models the other direction into GDTF files...so we can unzip .GDTF format into it's components, hope this makes sense.

Gotta be a GDTF file type and not just an .XML or .PXML which are regular, internal file types read by the console/software with no way to tear into the formats....once Exported out of the console.

Good luck

I was able to finally view the profile in a Win10 environment running MA3 2.02 and I noticed some issues with patching and the 42 channel mode. Somewhere in Patch, I noticed a 39 channel footprint for the 42 channel mode fixture....now, that might cause some patching issues I encountered.

I noticed some model size and geometry positioning oddities which I cleaned up inside MA3 Patch. I did not find any Axis Type Geometry object, but did locate the 2 Beam Types of Geometry[Strobe/RGB] references. From the way this fixture is assembled, the Head geometry.model probably needs to be an Axis type of geometry, I think at the very least to get TILT attribute to visualize.

I usually use the GDTF online fixture builder for profiles as working inside MA3 Patch to assemble a fixture is challenging with no 3D viewport in the FixtureType Menu for visual feedback, unlike Patch where you can get a 3D viewing of the fixture. Another challenge I have is 'editing' the hierarchy of a fixture inside the Geometry Tab once constructed via 'Insert' command? Finding no Axis object, I tried to insert and copy or cut/paste one between the 'yoke' geometry.model and the 'head' geometry.model to get Tilt functionality but found no easy way to accomplish this inside MA3 Patch? Which means an entire rebuild when you forget to make a model the proper Geometry Type[doesn't seem right]?? Not sure, I've not been one to use MA Patch to create a fixture profile. MAFixtureBuilder or via an IDE are my 'go to' methods for writing/examining .XML profiles.

That would be a great Tech Talk: how to properly Edit a Fixture's Geometry asset tree....no matter where I tried to parent the Axis object, it always seemed to end up outside where I needed it, like at the Base level of the fixture?? Go figure...

The fixture profile seems to be using a generic 'primitive' object, the cube.3DS file, and that seems odd to me for a functioning 3D Stage visualization. This fixture, to me, appears to be a 'Headmover' type fixture, as it has the TILT attribute.

Unless things have drastically changed with the 2.0 version of the software in the way 3D models are assembled; I would venture to guess why your visualization is jank...is because of the use of a 'custom' model[cube.3DS] for all the components of the 3D fixture/visualization[GEOMETRIES]. Again, unless things have changed radically with MA Stage View and 3D models, there needs to be certain 3D objects embedded within your model.file for things to visualize correctly. There are/were[?] 3D geometry 'helpers' for DIM, PAN, TILT, etc...and if those helpers are not within your Geometry[model], the visualization will suffer. Also, the location of this physical file in the gdtf_generic folder may be causing issues and perhaps did not get Imported with the profile. Was this profile generated via GDTF online builder?? Are the art assets in the correct folders?? Is there and Axis object in the fixture[Have not found an Axis object in fixture=no TILT]?? Is there a Beam object in the fixture[Found Beam objects in fixture]??

You may have better/predictable results if you examine a similar fixture in it's Geometry/Models to reverse engineer how to create a proper visualizing fixture inside the MA3 Stage.

Good luck!

Creating a fully functioning MA Profile with accompanying 3D visualization is a tricky road to tip-toe down...we're basically scripting/coding multiple objects and things need to be, lol-shall we say, perfect for things to work--it's somewhat of a 'mini/psuedo' video game environment we are working with here; 3D visualization and internal functionality.

<ChannelSet Name="Stobe Mode 01" DMXFrom="060606" /> Stobe??, this whole datablock and others have same misspelling?? in the name of the channelset--I work with an IDE program when I look/examine .XML files, try Notepad++ as a free solution to view/managing cascading file structures.

I don't see how, the 3D model has no encoders to read it's current position and when the CP is stopped, the model will most likely never be in the correct position; this is an issue with MA2 visualization of the Attribute.

There is a dirty hack to get it to reset but it's janky....at least in MA2 it is. Need to resend data to MA visualizer....to reset position.

The 3D model also needs a special 'helper' 3D object, probably not in the default model profile....as a guess.

You need a 'Moving Path' Fixture Type and the special helper object in the model to allow for Translation of an object within the Scene/Stage.

It's the Sub Attribute within the fixture that actually does the animation with the 3D environment.

It appears from your supplied images that the 3D object in question[3DS] may have it's U,V coordinates either scaled very small or not at all. I see the color blue, which tells me the faces with U,V mapping are facing the correct vector, it's just the image is tiled at a very small scale.

Your 3D objects/formats need to have their U,V coordinates mapped before Exporting/Importing into MA3D applying a bitmap to it isn't enough. I am uncertain if MA3D, in it's current iteration, manipulates U,V coordinates.

How does this object look in Sketchup with the Bitmap filling the Material slot? If it don't look good where you generated the object, it won't look any better in MA3D....

If the profile was written in 'current' codebase of your console/onPC, it should 'appear' in the folder of profiles by dropping the file into the folder...?? If you can not 'find/see' it in the library, perhaps version mis-match is occuring? Profile written in a version of the software that is higher in version number than the desk/console it's being stored.

I've seen 'version mismatch' with a programmer: asked for a 'new' desk cause the current one was 'janky/glitchy' and then the programmer could not 'find' the show file that was written on the 'desk of jank'. I explained 'version mismatch' and it all became too clear...show needed to be repatched and pools re-written.

Check your version of the .XMLP file against the desk/console version. I'm imagining that the file is of a higher version of the software.

Good luck

I've hacked the 'correct' version into .XML files to correct the broken link[1/2 small changes in header], not sure about .XMLP files however...

From a quick thinking about it: You got yourself a big can of worms there, neighbor...

You'll need specially created 3D models to generate the movements I see. The Z component of the MP will need to be added with special 'attachment/parenting' helpers and then assembled into the profile...from what I'm seeing and inferring.

I've modeled the Kinetic style(yo-yo) and other z winches and they've worked in the visualizer. These fixtures did not have the X/Y movement component and to get the oval movement, you'll have to have the shape oval movement stored as a sequence since it is not a range of linear values...some Trig movements perhaps?

Hope this helps, just thinking about it, I'm seeing a ton of Trial/Error will be needed to achieve what the video shows. It's the curved oval track being converted from the linear Attribute that is the chokepoint.

Good luck. Looks like a ton of work, for a non-'hobbyist', really....I see at least 3 hrs+ to figure it out and get the Z+X/Y Attributes correctly aligned and working. Without the custom track for X/Y Translation, it would be much easier to generate a functioning fixture profile, imho. There is no 'oval' Translation in 3D, it's X,Y,Z, not X/Y*sin/Pi or somesuch movement, it's a single linear range not a complex horizontal movement to simulate the oval pathing.

Rexy

Now, if the fixture Attribute MA2 is controlling is only the Z component and Automation Dept is controlling the crawler on the track, it becomes much easier for a fixture, just a Z subattribute FixtureType (MP may not work) and then you simple move the Z winch point around in 3D for 'cues' of the up/down, or what Automation is doing, I'm sure the 'stops' in the tracks are 'cues'....you'll have to get that data. CUE1=Position X/Y Again, combining the oval pathing really gums things up visualizer wise...and if I were doing this, I might not use the Fixture Type of DeviceClass=MP, as the parenting magic might not work on that DeviceClass, you'll have to hack it in via the Attribute's 3D subAttribute, which does the visualization, the desk cares not what the Attribute actually does, it simply sends out data packets to fill a value range...desk has no idea what the attribute physically does on the stage, how could it-it's why you'll never see 'continuous spin' visualized in MA3D-no way to index the position? Just filling slots with values...it's 6:18Am here and I've pondered this for a bit; time for some coffee!

I thought it was that paradigm; that tabs are strictly for MA licensed hardware devices and not for generics...thanks for the link, I landed there as soon as I sat down at a keyboard and stopped crouching under a stage. Observed something the other day that made my brain go, 'huh?'.

So, toss a multicast net and let the box do the polling....is it a better solution to unicast and direct the stream to the specific device with it's IP thru sACN? I was not privy to the network diagram of this architecture, so that's what made me think of unicasting directly to the device...not exactly certain what was attempting to be achieved: extend parameters thru this sACN device/box or just redirect 4 universes to a specific stage location. I was merely a low-end 'observer', LOL, to an impending train wreck...but, did have the laptop to DL the utility EXE to configure the 'magic black box', lol, for a 'bro'.

Thanks again!

Research up on the MA visualizer MA3D, it's a separate program that shows up in the console's network connections/settings. It is very simple to connect the visualizer to the console/onPC via a running session. Once connected, the console updates the data across the network to MA3D and any position/rotation/scale changes run parallel to the Stageview in the console from MA3D and vice versa.

The manuals describe all you need to know...MA3D is an extension of the Stageview Window in the console, it runs off of the resources of an external PC device instead of the desk's CPU and GPU. A large, complicated setup will definitely choke a system's FPS if the graphics aren't decent. It is a default MA2 data[I think] visualizer and has a limit as to how it render's a fixture's attributes you see in the actual fixture IRL, beware. Other visualizers use the DMX stream to provide the data needed for visualizing and may provide a richer experience.

Yes, you can align patched fixtures in MA3D, as well as the desk/console in the Stageview. I'm sure it's described in the manual under the Stageview and Alignment/Arrangement commands/encoders.

Not in my experience, do venues supply a 3D visualization of their environment. It's usually a DIY endeavor for each designer/programmer/operator, depending upon which platform they're using for the work and what location/environment is being used.

Yes, you can import an environment into MA3D while connected to the console/desk. It is a process... You Import 3DS files into a MA2 database format with a small EXE program that stores them and then you can Drag-N-Drop them into MA3D from the asset tree of shapes. Once it is positioned and scaled how you wish/need, you EXPORT the environment as an empty fixture/patch showfile with only the 3D data included. That show file is stored with the other show files and then when needed, you then IMPORT via MA3D the environment.

The long part of this process is generating the 3D models and storing them in the gmamedia format for the UI to read and show thumbnails.

I've created quite a few 3D environments to scale for previz work, it's work I really enjoy. Outdoor 'shed' venues, indoor arenas, trade show booths, etc...custom fixtures for profiles as well.

Cheers!

What are the default values of the Attributes set as? If they're all set at full, the visualization is indeed white and you'll have to select the subFixtures and remove RGBW values to get a proper visualization, as a first guess....

How are you selecting the fixture to access it's Attributes? Selecting the main CH/FX number and trying to add adjust color values will not visualize anything in the subFixtures. Each separate subFixture needs to be selected to access it's attribute encoders.

Any Mini-B fixture profile I examined seemed to have weird module index number order in the <Instances> array, compared to it's Patching.

The modules are defined in what is a 'normal' index sequence. The 'Main' module is usually listed first, then the 'subFixture' modules after that...so, 0[main]1[subFixture]2[subFixture]. Then, lower in the Instance array, the sequence is 1,2,0, whereby the subfixtures are listed first, but the Patch numbers don't seem to correlate to the modules??

Instance index "2" is listed as module_index="0", with it's Patch starting at DMX 17?? Module instance "0" is the Main Module....with starting Patch at 1...Huh?

The fixture profile I examined had really bad visualization data: Each module was exactly the same size and in exactly the same location, making if very hard to see anything approaching 'IRL' visualization of the actual fixture sitting on the stage.

Without evaluating the profile .XML, it's hard to guesstimate what is borking the adventure....in MA3D.

Good luck!

PS: seeing the fixture has a ZOOM....this heads towards custom model territory and some Kajiggerin'...of the profile, to get what you witness on the stage to appear in MA3D...