Posts by JWPardee

BECOME PART OF THE COMMUNITY - Sign up here

mokaByls

short of it is yes you can have two consoles controlling the stages at the same time.... in many instances of larger festivals you some times have two or more guest artist LDs programming on a rig at one time.... There are a couple ways to do this and they all revolve around using WORLDS.... More or less, what a World is, is a pre-defined set of fixtures that are the only fixtures you can use/program/run etc etc think of it as a huge filter that turns off the consoles ability to mess with the other functions of the other lights...in your case, you are only able to program your stage specific fixtures.... this way, you both cant accidently program something on the other persons stage or store something in their section of the show file....

Assuming off of your question...its going to be the same show file running the stages and you both are just programming the one stage but are limited to time.... what i would say is best would be to join in session so both PCs are running the same file.... log in as your own user.... Then, using worlds, separate the two stages apart Be it stage one is world #2, and stage 2 is world #3....what ever way you see is best to break them into different worlds.... then, when you are logged in to program, you select only the worlds specific to your stage, the other programmer does the same for the world of his stage... Program away.... when completed with your programming don't forget to re-select the ALL WORLD (#1) as to free up the show file

There are several YouTube videos on worlds and how to use them that go into a lot more depth, should check out a few of them to help wrap your mind around the simple set up of a World and so on.......but i hope that helps get you started....

I run onPC all of the time at dimmer beach as my "oh shit" foh dies back up..... with the system all in session, the PC takes the parameter count of the system... typically, end of the night i lamp off/leave walk out look on the stage then turn off and shut down FOH... then walk to dimmer beach and use the PC to shut down the rig the rest of the way.... so, im not sure why they would tell you you cant do it being a lot of us do it that way a lot

In hollywood i use a 6000k color....then a form of random spikes of various intensities randomly from 10% through (brightest i want it to go) In ma2 the form looks like children chicken scratch up down crazy spike pattern.... in ma3 im making the same thing with about 20-30 steps up down up down over and over to different up down levels.... with a few random same level (hold output) steps.... TVs by nature always ahve that little glow...so never goes to black (hence the lowest level being 10%) but then random spikes up and down give a very realistic look.... use it all of the time in tv shows and movies......

if you really want to get crafty on it.... i some times add the same look, but in color spiking between 4000k and 6000k color with the dimmer spike look both at different speeds so it gives a full on random color and dimmer look....

but at least in most stances, a static color of choice with a dimmer chase works best

Hello everyone,

Had a question on what your workflow is to separate a fixtures children... So, back in the MA2 world you would make your selection....then in MAtricks set your options, then hit next through what ever to store groups.... Now they are no longer instances they are children and you do that in the Selection grid box by grabbing your group selection....hitting down, left right etc etc to do it.... might be because i am doing it a long way, but this seems very tedious process of what use to be fairly quick.... so im curious about how you all go about separating out the different children of a fixture.... say using a JDC1, making a group for the strobe set and a group of the RGB set....

im also seeing that when i hit down, the selection loses its grid positions.... originally the group will show GridPoitions based on 3D like it should, hit down...and that group collapses into a rectangle... keeps the order but no longer the grid.... is that a setting or is that how it works??

last part..... when i do hit down, then right through the groups of children and save them into new groups.... those new groups do not show "yellow" in 3D when selected.... the original group shows up selected like it should...but the groups of the children do not... again, is this a setting, doing something wrong, or just how it works??

anyways...thanks for the help everyone!!

Wormcat

Personally in MA2, i would have my backup computer in session running ma2pc where i did a Remote IP save...

havent needed to do it on MA3...but maybe it can spark an idea or a process for you....

in ma2 i have a macro that has the following

Line 1: SetVar $SERVERIP = 192.168.0.3 <-----IP address of my back up computer running ma2pc (IP adjusts accordingly per show needs)

line 2: RemoteCommand $SERVERIP "SELECTDRIVE 1"

Line 3: Saveshow <------saves show to internal drive of my backup computer

This repeats a few times for the different drives and has also now included both my back up computer as well as my second console...long answer short is i havent built this into my ma3 showfile, but i am sure there is a syntax similar to this where you can get the same result... Hope this sparks an idea for you

Not sure if it will help, but i have a few macros where i set the property of its custom text using the following...

Set Layout "Color Phaser"."SPOTS COLOR PHASE OF" Property "CustomTextText" "("$"PLD_ColorPhase"")"

in this example, the macro is setting a phase for my Spots Color Effects....and this is the last line of the macro that updates the custom text name to what my phase variable is....

"Color Phaser" is the layout name

"SPOTS COLOR PHASE OF" is the name of the macro im editing

property can be can be what ever you want it to be..... for me its custom text

again, not sure it will help, but it is how i change properties of a macro on a layout and it works great....

Storyline im not sure about a global delete of the useless variables.... but for me, i use a lot of variables in my showfile as well....what i did to keep it clean is at the start of the macro i do my assiigning of the variable... SetGlobalVariable "DimPhase" (Phase Of ?) kind of thing.... then the macro itself to do the task i want....

then the very last line of the same macro i have.... DeleteGlobalVariable "DimPhase"

So in effect, setting then removing the variable as i go.... a few obvious ones that i dont add that delete line would be variables referenced by multiple sources but overall, this seems to keep my file very clean

Hope that helps