Posts by Druooski

BECOME PART OF THE COMMUNITY - Sign up here

I’m setting up a small show in GrandMa2 onPc and MA3D

I put six American DJ Inno Pocket Z4, 19-channel, moving head lighting fixtures in the patch from the library.

I’m having trouble gaining control over the beam/zoom/shutter in these fixtures in MA2 onPC.

I have to have control of the zoom range in these fixtures before I can show someone something representative.

They have a variable zoom of 10-60 degrees.

The zoom function works, because it will go to narrow; however,

when I set it to wide, it will not zoom out to the 60 degree beam I should see.

It only looks like about 20-30 degrees at most.

So, I exhausted the help section about editing fixtures/modules and such, looked at other examples in the fixture and module editors, and attempted to solve the problem:

I opened Fixture Types, selected the mentioned Z4, and selected “Edit” at lower left.

Zoom Default/Highlight is set at 0/100.

Shutter Default/Highlight is set at 0/100.

“Beam Angle,” is set to "1" in Module Manager.

"Intensity," is set to "6000" in MM.

Also, “Shutter” setting doesn’t work. When at full, beam shows on stage, open or closed here.

I’m pretty much out of my knowledge base here.

Can someone help me out here with this, please?

Thank you. :saint:

Would someone be so kind as to please answer these questions?

I have Stage View open in Screen 2 of MA2 onPC.
    I go to "Setup," and there are the various parameters I can set for a fixture.

The first one---"Dimmer"---says "closed"; there's a menu item for it that says "open."
    Well, I'm used to "up" or "down." So, I open the calculator and type in a value. The question is: What is the "number," say "75" or "50" for the Dimmer parameter? Is it an actual % (percentage) of the dimmer curve, that is, "the dimmer is at 75 or 50 "percent" of it's range, or does this number represent something else?

Also, I click on "Focus."
    I get "Focus" and "Zoom" options.
    What does the "number" I type in the "Focus" parameter represent?

And, what does the "number" in the Zoom parameter represent?
    Is the "Zoom" number the actual "degree" of the particular fixture beam angle?
    If I set it at, say, 18, is that and actual "eighteen degree" beam/field angle or whatever?

What do these numbers mean?

Thanks for any wisdom anyone has to offer.

I'm lookin' at the specs in the User Manual for the Robe MegaPointe lighting fixture. The numbers don't coincide with the standard Square Law formula numbers for beam Intensity at a given distance from the illumination source.

Please refer to the provided screenshot of the "Spot Application," "Max. Zoom (Max. Hot-Spot, Ratio 5:1)," diagram taken from page 48 of the manual.

As I understand the math---the Inverse Square Law---the standard formula for Intensity at a given distance is: Illumuination = Lumens / (Distance) squared.

The Robe specs show:
    20,375 total lumens, and 106 fc and 1140 lux, at 10 meters
    Let's go with that example.

Roughly, 1 meter = 3.25 feet
    Roughly, 10 meters = 32.5 feet
    Roughly, 1 fc = 10.8 lumens

Using the formula and solving for footcandles we get, roughly:
    Illumination = 20,375 / (32.5 x 32.5)
    Illumination = 20,375 / 1056.25
    Illumination = 19.29 footcandles, or, 208.33 lumens

The formula numbers are noticeably different from Robe's numbers.

Are Robe's numbers incorrect and I'm the new lighting wizard on the block (how in the NOG can that be possible?), or, am I just brain-dead and usin' the wrong formula, or do I just need to give up this whole LD business thingy and get a job stockin' shelves at Walmart or somethin'?

What am I doin' wrong, here?
    Can anyone---no pun intended---shed some light on this for me?

Thanks so much.

Thank you so much Mr. Kanarek, for your such awesome help here.

I tried the LED beam fix on the 7 Color Force II 72s I'm usin', and the beam thingy worked; however, it only showed me one (1) "beam" in the center of the unit instead of showing all the cells across the length of the unit, like when it's set to "LED."

I did set the beam angle to 100 degrees after the screenshot you see here, which did spread the single beams out so I got spread across the Cyc; however, that doesn't allow me to set anything near accurate levels in programming.

How do---or can---I set this thingy so the whole face of the 72s light up with beams like it looks with the LED setting with all cells visible?

Thank you so much.

Hello Everyone:
    It appears we are limited to 4096 parameters in onPC when connected to external hardware---unless we use the Christian Jackson NPU tweak thingy.

I'm building a show in onPC.

As long as I'm only working on the machine in onPC and not connected to external hardware, does the 4096 "cutoff" apply, or, say, if I'm up to 5468 parameters used so far, will I still be able to see all my fixtures up and running and still be able to program looks using all 5468 parameters, and view all those parameters in my looks in onPC?

Thanks for anyone's help here.

Can someone please help here with some cleanup work?

How do I save---or can I---a copy of the MA2 onPC showfile to a usb or my hard drive for backup?

While positioning fixtures in the "Fixtures Position" window in MA2 onPC how can I see the positioned fixtures in MA3D as I position them without having to exit the patch and save the showfile every time I want to see them in MA3D?

Another related question is, how do I "save" "positioning" without having to exit the patch, so I can just position a fixture, do a save; position another fixture or two, do a save; etc. without the mechanics of having to reload the patch every time I do a save?

Is there an auto-save on a timer in MA2 onPC?

And, how, or can, I convert MA2 onPC---not MA3D---from Meters to Feet for positioning things?

Thanks to anyone who can brighten my day here.

Wow.
    Yes; thank you, Moe.
    Trying to learn the system.
    Almost UTS on hangin' rig and fixtures.
    Gettin' ready to tackle programming looks.
    Presets....
    Yes. Thank you.
    I'll get right on how to do that.

When you say "desired values," are you talkin' about the values for a particular fixture or fixture group?
    Say, the Keys, for instance?
    Setting the dimmer level, beam in degrees, etc for that fixture or group and making that a named preset?

Will someone be so kind as to please address this question?

Let's say I want to build a full concert performance in MA2 onPC for an artist who has contracted me to do the lighting for their show. And, I want a showfile on the machine, on a USB---or whatever---that I can take to the on-site loadin, plug into the on-site MA2 desk, and run the show up live for rehearsal that night.

Having said that, here's the rub: When I build the show in MA2 onPC, I want to set the stage dimmer levels using "f-stops" instead of doing so visually using my eyes. Yes, of course I wanna look at it while I'm building looks, but I wanna set the levels by f-stop.

For instance, inside MA2 and MA3D, I want to set my keys at 150 footcandles, and I want to set my fill one stop down at 75 footcandles.

How can I set up these levels in MA2 onPC so I actually see something very close to that on the live stage when I load the showfile into the on-site MA2 desk and run it up?

The reason? Let's say that I primarily work in television. I work for "electronic eyes," not for my visual eyes, or the visual eyes of the audience. I work for the cameras, and short of having a "visualizer" like MA3D on the machine---that doesn't show me true ratios anyway, visual or otherwise---where I can set up the looks ahead of time in a showfile, I'm usually on stage with my light meter, where I can measure the footcandle levels for key/fill---and background, and audience, etc.---and then tell the desk operator how hot to run the dimmers to give me the 1-stop key/fill and other ratios that I want to see.

I don't wanna show up at the site with a showfile with "unbalanced" video levels that must be fully corrected on site, on stage, with a light meter, if I can avoid doing so, because it may be that I have no time to set this up live and reprogram all the dimmer levels in the showfile, because the generator trucks are tied up in a two-mile-long traffic jam on the Interstate, because of a massive tractor-trailer overturn and toxic spill situation, and won't arrive at the site until one hour before curtain. Hey; experience tells me it truly is like Gump says....

How can I program in an MA2 showfile setting my levels using f-stops, or something approaching f-stops, or, can something like this be done at all using MA2 onPC?

Thanks so much for any wisdom offered on this.

Thanks so much!
    This helps; however, all three settings in real life will also affect the "appearance" of the light beams themselves---as they do when I'm in MA3D, as they will appear more saturated in a closed dark interior with haze in the air, as apposed to an open-air exterior venue.

Of course, that's natural.

The problem then appears to be: When you program a show on the fly in the machine, how can you know what the ambient levels of all three parameters could be? Like, in inside MA3D, how do you know the levels for those three parameters, say, for actual "daylight," or a "partially dim House"?

Shall I just assume this is guesswork, and when you show up at the gig for loadin in another state---or, send a USB with the showfile on it, to your programmer for the gig at the site, you/she/he have/has to run it up and adjust the on-stage levels accordingly? Inside the program, how can you possibly know what you're gonna see, or is it like that box of chocolates Gump Bought for Jenny?

Thank you again, Rex. You are most gracious, and I'm most grateful for your insights.

Can someone please define "point light" and "ambient color" in the MA3D Rendering menu and specifically what each does?
    I can't seem to find anything that explains what they actually control and the difference in the two.

And while I'm here, I'll just throw the "background" setting in with these two.
    I may be brain dead; however, I find these three settings completely confusing.

The bigger question may be: How does one make the light beams in Stage View look realistic, like they would at a live concert with the House lights out?

A big thank you, here.

Well, Rex; it's called pilot error.
    I was trying to use one of those L-shaped, 90 degree "end cap" thingies that go on the end of a truss section and hang down.
    However, after your initial insight, I realized that one part of the "L" wasn't the same size as the other one.
    Then, I couldn't get it resized where both parts of the L were the same size so both ends would fit the truss sections.
    So, I just aborted the operation and hung a straight torm stick down under the main truss fur now.
    Please see attached detail.
    Don't know if this is proper---I'm sure it's not.
    Looks to me like the shop would scream if I delivered a plot section that looked like this for them to construct.
    However, I'm just learnin' how to construct a show for presentation right now.
    I guess I'll deal with the details when the time comes.

However, while I'm here and got your ear:

I've lost the "Top Camera (2D) and can't find it.
    It's in the Camera Pool, but no matter the position settings, I can't see it/find it.
    How can I recall that camera?

Meanwhile, I just created another Top Camera (2D) with new position settings.
    So, how can I delete a camera view from the Camera Pool---like the old Top (2D) one?

Alas, one more:
    I think I saw an answer for this one earlier, and I'll look it up, but since you're here and listening:
    I have a "white plane" for a cyc---66' x 35'.
    When I hit it with light, the beam just shoots right through it and keeps on goin'.
    How do I make objects from the "Primitives" Media Database solid so light doesn't go through them?---like the "box" object I used to create my stage; same problem, here. Light just keeps goin' through the stage floor.

Thanks so much for all your most gracious help.

Thank you again, Rex.
    Everything worked!
    I'm still ignorant of the 3D Objects "Tab" window and arranging things.
    Just put up a post on that.
    And thanks for the heads-up on the contract work.
    Reaching the point where I can send a show file to my Programmer on-site for a load-in may cost me money before this is all over. Man! What a learning curve, and I even have a degree in computer programming, alas, from way back, but still....

I was the ALD on a theatre production in my Junior year at NCSA way back there in 1980, and I told my LD one night after rehearsal: "Man! Since computers have just hit the market we should write a software program that we can use to design and run shows."

Little did I know that 45 years later, I'd be up to my neck in trying to learn how to use one, and that shows today cannot be done with them.

Thanks again for your most gracious help.

Wow. What a learning curve....
    Can someone help me, here?

How can I backup a copy of the show file in MA2 onPC to my hard drive or a USB?
    Or, how are backups done "inside" MA2 onPC?

How do I get a printed, on-paper light plot from MA2 onPC, or, can I?

How do I arrange objects in the 3D Objects "Tab" instead of the "Assets Window"? The arrangements don't match. I can't seem to arrange them in the "3D Tab" at all.

In the "Media Database" window, I don't see "attachments," as such, in the "Trusses" section that allow you to connect truss "spans". You know, like to attach the main overhead truss spans at SR and SL, or drop-down torm trusses to the main overhead truss spans, or "plates" that go on the bottom of torm sticks so a fixture can be mounted at the bottom of the torm. Is it proper to just put the main spans and torm sticks in place and just "assume" that the attachments are there, and specify them later in a shop order or something? Please refer to attached detail image.

Any help here is greatly appreciated, as it saves hours of searching and digging through MA2 and MA3D land.

Well, I'm new here, I'm also somewhat new to MA2 onPC and MA3D, I'm building a 66' X 50' concert stage environment in MA3D, and I'm far enough along to have questions. I have five at present that are somewhat related, so I post them here in a group. If that's not proper, someone please tell me, and I'll split them up.

Question 1.
    I put up 3 spans of overhead truss, each with 6 sections end-to-end. Then I got smart and grouped the sections in one span. I now see the grouped span in the 3D object window labeled "group 1." I also see the individual sections of that group still listed as well. So I get really smart and do a "ctrl" + "delete" and delete the "group 1" object. Well, all the other individual spans delete as well. How can I delete this group 1 without the individual listed spans also being deleted?

Question 2.
    I get the truss spans up. I want "ladders" hangin' down on each end of each span. So I "duplicate" one section of a span, rotate it vertically to go on the end of the truss span, and move it into place, but it's now not the same width as the original truss span I duplicated (it's a box 18" x 18"). The duplicate truss section has the same numbers, but visually, it's not the same size as the original section and doesn't line up well. I've looked at it from several cameras, alas, they don't match. What am I doin' wrong, here?

Question 3.
    Once I establish the Z coordinate of a front camera position in the "camera pool" window and save the show. I've noticed that it changes after I reload the saved show file. How do I "save" that coordinate so it doesn't change after I save the show file?

Question 4.
    I created the stage and drum riser using the "box" object from the 3D objects section "primitives." How do I change the color of each of them independent of the other?

Question 5.
    I change the "units" from meters to feet and save the show file. When I load the show file later, it reverts back to meters. How do I make it keep the "foot" scale so it doesn't revert to meters every time I reload the show?

Thank you so much for any help anyone has to offer.