Question about variable strobe rate on a rotary knob

BECOME PART OF THE COMMUNITY - Sign up here
  • Hello all of you wonderful MA wizards!

I have the dimmer of a specific group on a fader on my command wing and would like to be able to control the strobe with the button and turning knob above. I would like to be able to control the rate of the strobe with the turning knob and turn on/off the strobe with the button below (the 300-layer of executors).

So far, I have tried different combinations of temp- and x-"faders" on the knob, toggle switch on the button and having different sequences to crossfade of temp between as well as different cues in the same sequence but everything I've tried so far hasn't worked for various reasons.

Does anyone know or have an idea of how to accomplish what I want? Thanks in advance for any help or tips!:)

• Yes, I am aware of that. I have found a solution by making a square wave dim phaser and assigning it to an executor (in my case on the 300-layer) where the knob controls the speed of the phaser and the button is a toggle on/off. I know that this is nowhere near optimal with the big data rates it requires and the fact that it is not using the shutter but the actual dimmer, but since my rig is relatively small and completely LED, it figured it would do the job :)

• Try a two cue seq. First cue is strobe channel at open (next to the range you want to fade through), second cue is the maximum value you want to fade to. Button is set to toggle, encoder is set to temp.

• Try a two cue seq. First cue is strobe channel at open (next to the range you want to fade through), second cue is the maximum value you want to fade to. Button is set to toggle, encoder is set to temp.

Yeah, Ive tried this but the problem is that it dosen't remember the temp value. As soon as i exit the strobe (either via the toggle or by overriding ("off when overridden" is off)), the temp value gets forgotten and the next time I start the strobe it starts from the minimum value :(

• maybe this approach could work for you:

create e.g. 10 cues with different stroberates from slow to fast

set encoderleft&right command to Go-/Go+, set button to toggle, set restartmode to currentcue

Yeah, maybe that's the easiest solution. I have thought of this but not really wanted to since i wanted to have as granular control as possible, but all this trouble is NOT worth it and your suggestion is probably the best. And I did not know about that "current cue" restart mode, so thank you for that!

• You could also have just one sequence assigned and contrelled with the knob on temp. Then you can assign a command to the button that would turn the second sequence on and off in the background. It will overwrite the buttons default function.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!