v2.0.2.0 video RAM nag bug

BECOME PART OF THE COMMUNITY - Sign up here
  • It looks like there's a bug in v2.0.2.0 where the "doesn't meet minimum requirements" dialog pops on start, complaining about there not being enough VRAM. This is on a new Core Ultra 9 machine, which I believe dynamically allocates shared memory to the GPU. Once it starts running, with the visualizer open, the task manager shows something around 1.5/15.8 GB of "shared GPU memory," and it runs fine.

• I have a same issue.

I have Nuc13 Pro i7 with Intel Iris Xe and 64Gb of RAM that has only 128MB VRAM but I have allocated 32Gb from RAM for GPU. As soon as I lunch MA3 onPC in Task Manager I see it uses about 1.3Gb from 31.7Gb available.

Before this update there was no any notification coming out.

• The issue actually showed up for me after a Windows update, not after updating to MA3 v2.x (MA3 v2.x did not give me the warning prior to the Windows update).

My suspicion is that it has more to do with a difference in the way Windows is reporting available GPU memory on computers with Integrated graphics memory, than any change in MA3. If you take a look at GPU usage in Windows Task Manager you can see how much memory is actually being used out of how much is avaliable to make sure it's working properly despite the warning pop-up.

• be aware that performance is not only about memory size, but also about memory speed (bandwidth)

dedicated GPU memory (VRAM) - as specified in the onPC requirements, is typically much faster than shared system memory.

• Understood about difference in integrated vs dedicated GPU memory performance. However, that's not what the nag screen is saying. It's saying there's not enough memory, when there is actually way more than enough. So, if processors with integrated CPU/GPU and graphics memory are a problem performance-wise (doubtful), the warning and MA3 Specs should state that directly.

• well, the initial post stated that the popup said "not enough VRAM" which could be interpreted as "not enough fast RAM"
    (I haven't seen this popup)

I don't get any "nag screen" when starting the application with integrated instead of dedicated graphics,

however my integrated graphic adapters reports free memory above OnPC minimum requirements of 1024 MB:

Starting OnPC with integrated graphics:

starting OnPC with dedicated graphics:

----------

what does your system monitor report regarding available/free video memory during bootup?

• Here's the warning that now pops up after a forced Windows update (and that actually happened before I updated MA3 from v1.9.7 to v2.x). I've since updated all the appropriate CPU/GPU graphics drivers from Intel, and it doesn't go away.

MA3 System Monitor shows essentially the same thing as yours.

When I have MA3 playing a cue and 3D open on an external monitor the Windows Task Manager shows I'm using only 1.7GB of 7.9GB Available.

Oddly, this laptop seems to run 3D faster than both my Compact XT and MA3 on a much more powerful M2 Mac Mini. It's not something I'm super worried about since I've run MA3 for a couple years with this machine without the warning and zero issues, but it's always a little disconcerting clicking past it.

• Yeah, this is not about VRAM performance or speed. I can run four screens and the monitor says it's using around 2.7 gigs out of 15.something. The UI is responsive and works fine (though GPU usage is ridiculous, given the mostly static UI). I think this is just a bug in the startup, which is annoying but not actually a problem once you dismiss the dialog.

• Official Post

Hello,
    When starting onPC, the data from the CPU, RAM and GPU of the internal interfaces are evaluated.
    If the data received is within the specification, no message appears.
    The bad thing is that if an interface reports incorrect values, a message appears.
    If data is received outside the specification, a corresponding message appears.
    The good thing is that a 'wrong' message is only an information and do not affect the MA software functions.
    An MA user reported that the 'wrong' message was no longer displayed after a driver version change.

It is good if you get a message that your PC does not meet the system requirements.
    It is bad if non-standardized driver information generates an incorrect message. (So far only the Intel drivers but random).

The best thing would be to add a small check mark to the message:
    'Do not show this message again'

A developer may see things in a completely different light.
    So, sorry if the explanation is very general.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!