Plugin "MyFlicker"

BECOME PART OF THE COMMUNITY - Sign up here
  • Thanks for making a very cool plug-in!
    This makes creating and manipulating a nice looking flicker effect very quick and easy. However, I have 2 important questions:

1) Is there a way to see the dimmer value of the light running the effect?
    In the picture below I have Dim 1 running a normal phaser effect, while Dim 2 & Dim 3 are running your MyFlicker plugin. The white square in the far left column and the orange dimmer bar in the Dim column depict the light flickering away, but since no actual values are shown, I am unable to tell what the actual levels are. (e.g.: My gaffer might ask me what are the High and Low values for Dim 2, and I won't be able to tell him)

2) Is there a way to adjust the existing parameters of a light running your plugin?
    As far as I can tell (and I may be missing something), I cannot seem to view or edit the existing parameters of a light running the plugin. I can certainly select the light and run your plugin again, but that will snap the values of each parameter to whatever they were the last time I used the plugin, and NOT to what the light was actually running before.
    Example: I have light in Dim 3 that's very close to the actor's face, just out of frame. I use MyFlicker to give it a nice subtle 5-10% flicker.
    Then I've got a light in Dim 2 shining against a background wall, and need a much brighter flicker, so I select that light and use MyFlicker and adjust the settings to give it a bright 90-100% flicker.
    Now I need to go back and adjust the parameters of Dim 3. If I select that light and hit MyFlicker, the light will slam to 90-100% and blind the actor, since those were the parameters last time I used the plugin. Is there any way around this?

• 2) Is there a way to adjust the existing parameters of a light running your plugin?

I think the solution here is to store your flicker to a preset before storing it to the cue. That way you can go back to the preset when you want to edit, as opposed to recreating the flicker, which is what you're doing when you call the plugin a second time.

• GeckoTH

you found a bug. please download the latest version from the initial post.

the generated values should now be visible and editable via the phaser editor

there is no connection between the generated values and the plugin, there is no way to seamlessly adjust an earlier created flicker via the plugin.

• Thanks for the quick update Andreas

jfarrow Sure I can save the generated 64-step phaser effect to a preset, but editing that phaser to adjust something equivalent to what was once the High or Low value is a pain. A lot of gaffers I've worked for like to have very specific and granular control over the effect, such as: "let's see a flicker between 30-50%, okay bring the top end down to 45%, alright let's try bringing up the bottom to 35%" and so on...
    Having to dive into the phaser editor and manually grab all the highest points in the graph and try to drag them downwards a couple points is not efficient.

I've worked on period films and projects that are lit entirely by candlelight/lanterns/etc, so I may have a couple hundreds lights in a scene all running some variation of a flicker, and I need the console to allow me to tweak those settings for each light on the fly.

Here's hoping that ACT adds some support for fundamental effects like this in the future, but I appreciate you trying to fill that gap in the meantime, Andreas !

Los Angeles, CA

IMDb link

• If you work with single fixtures, one by one, maybe the macros below could be helpful for later edit of steps generated by the plugin.

(selects the steps that has values higher/lower than the average of all steps)

If you're playing back a cue with the flicker, make sure to knock the attribute into programmer first, for these to work.

Macro "Select HighSteps"

Lua "if SelectionCount()>0 then local ave,smask,tbl=0,{},GetProgPhaser(GetUIChannelIndex(SelectionFirst(),GetAttributeIndex('Dimmer'))) for i,v in ipairs(tbl or {}) do ave=(v.absolute or v.relative or 0)/#tbl+ave end for i,v in ipairs(tbl or {}) do smask[i]=(v.absolute or v.relative or 0)>ave and true or false end CurrentEnvironment().StepMask=smask end"

Macro "Select LowSteps"

Lua "if SelectionCount()>0 then local ave,smask,tbl=0,{},GetProgPhaser(GetUIChannelIndex(SelectionFirst(),GetAttributeIndex('Dimmer'))) for i,v in ipairs(tbl or {}) do ave=(v.absolute or v.relative or 0)/#tbl+ave end for i,v in ipairs(tbl or {}) do smask[i]=(v.absolute or v.relative or 0)<=ave and true or false end CurrentEnvironment().StepMask=smask end"

• With the new 2.0 software and the random generator, I though it was time to give up on this amazing plugin that I was using on every show of mine.

But to my surprise I find the random generator way less organic with a smaller loop and also a bit less convenient to use.

Flicker for life !

Thanks again Andreas

• Maybe if you added more variance to some of the parameters it would feel less "patterned"? There are also several different predefined Generators you can import, to get a little bit of a feel for what is possible with that engine. I also don't know how large the selection is that you're playing with at the moment, which could make a difference in your perception as you're learning what the options all do.

Edited once, last by Ryan Kanarek (March 15, 2024 at 1:44 PM).

• I had the same issue this morning, it looked like it was running through a phase but in shuffled order. My issue in understanding ended up being:

• Set the phase to anything
    • Set the Phase Variance to 100%
    • Disable Phase Once.

Looks random now either with a selection or a single Attribute!

I haven't gotten through all the patch notes yet but here's hoping you can drive the phase of a phaser with a generator 🤞

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!