Object API: Documentation

BECOME PART OF THE COMMUNITY - Sign up here
  • Hi ALL !

Can we ask for documentation please for the Object API.

Does anyone have direct contact with MA Lighting?
    What are they saying about this lack of documentation ??

Here is a list of all the known functions (not documented), in TypeScript definition

• ralfrottmann
    I wrote support and here is what they answered:

unfortunately, the whole grandMA3 Lua API is not very well documented (officially) at the moment. I will ask our TechDoc department about their future plans on this.

In the meantime, you can get a full overview of all available functions for the current software version if you run HelpLua in the command line. This will output a text file "grandMA3_lua_functions" to your gma3_library folder. Of course, this does not replace a proper documentation, but it gives you a list of all functions with arguments, return values and data types.

• I've been up to my eyeballs in other projects so I haven't had any time to update my wiki for a very long time, but everything that's on there is stuff I have just played with to figure out.

Though I look forward to when the docs are fully up to date there are some core features of the console that need work before we can hope to get any finalized APIs and documentation.

My guess is they are holding off on documenting everything since lots might change in the future, but who knows?

• ralfrottmann
    I wrote support and here is what they answered:

unfortunately, the whole grandMA3 Lua API is not very well documented (officially) at the moment. I will ask our TechDoc department about their future plans on this.

In the meantime, you can get a full overview of all available functions for the current software version if you run HelpLua in the command line. This will output a text file "grandMA3_lua_functions" to your gma3_library folder. Of course, this does not replace a proper documentation, but it gives you a list of all functions with arguments, return values and data types.

The plan is mentioned in the v1.5 release notes (https://help2.malighting.com/Page/grandMA3/rn_v1_5/en/1.8) where the HelpLua command was introduced:

New command HelpLua. Executing HelpLua exports a file named "grandMA3_lua_functions.txt" into the gma3_library folder on the internal drive. This file contains all grandMA3 specific Lua functions.
    Furthermore, the manual provides now more detailed topics for the grandMA3 specific Lua functions. To learn about these functions, please read the Lua functions topic and its subtopics. The manual does not describe all gandMA3 specific Lua functions, yet. It will be expanded all the time. To read the newest updates, please visit the online manual pages at https://help2.malighting.com.

Nearly every week new topics are added to the online help.

• I took the grandMA3_lua_functions.txt file and reworked it for use as a library with Visual Studio Code.

This provides:

Inline definitions
    Hover to view details on MA functions
    Autocompletion

GitHub - jefffarrow/grandMA3_lua_functions: A Visual Sudio Code Library of grandMA3 in-built functions
    A Visual Sudio Code Library of grandMA3 in-built functions - GitHub - jefffarrow/grandMA3_lua_functions: A Visual Sudio Code Library of grandMA3 in-built…
    github.com

23-02-13 - v1.2 Updated annotation and comments
    23-04-16 - v1.3 Updated to include new v1.9 function
    23-09-28 - v1.4 Updated with new Set/Get:ProgPhaser:Value Definitions from 1.9.7. Added ENUMS table

24-03-20 - v1.5 Updated to reflect new and improved lua function in GMA3 v2.0.0.4

Edited 7 times, last by jfarrow: GitHub update (March 20, 2024 at 7:02 PM).

• I took the grandMA3_lua_functions.txt file and reworked it for use as a library with Visual Studio Code.

Great, I´ve been working at a similar project. I have included also the object API functions, the Enums table and a GMA3 table holding handles to all Object-Free API functions but all of this is still in a testing phase struggling with similar problems as you described. When I have working tested beta version I will publish the link here.

• hello hepi ,

I'm also developing my first TypeScript plugin for exactly the same reasons as you. I code in lua on small plugins but on bigger ones, I also prefer TypeScript. I also based my types on your "grandma3-ts-types" fork. I hope to soon offer you a pull request with some improvements on types.

• mokaByls
    Great !
    Bare in mind that this "grandma3-ts-types" is constantly changing,
    and I consider it still unofficial, so I allow myself to make breaking changes.
    When it will become more stable, I start versioning it properly.
    I hope the version 1.0.x doesn't mislead.
    Maybe I should have stuck with 0.1.x ...

At least If I make breaking changes, I will try to remember to increase the minor version. (e.g, 1.0.0, 1.1.0)
    And if it's just additions, then only the last digit (1.0.1)

You can also take a look at my build tool:
    https://github.com/ma3-pro-plugins/build_plugin

I in the progress of extracting it to a standalone package, it's not done yet.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!