DataPools + Recipes

BECOME PART OF THE COMMUNITY - Sign up here
  • Playing around some with copying DataPools and noticed that even if I copy a complete DataPool:

copy DataPool 1 at 10

In the new DataPool, when I go into a sequence and look at the recipe, it's references back to Objects and presets in DataPool 1 instead of the new one.

Not saying this isn't intended behavior - just trying to understand why.

Let's say I'm preparing for a show in a new venue, was hoping I could create a new stage with patch etc., then copy either part or all of my Default DataPool to a new one and be off and running. In my new DataPool, update my groups and presets etc. But, if all of my recipes in all of my sequences are referencing objects and presets from DataPool 1, that makes things tough.

Hope that rambling makes sense...

-Rob

• In the new DataPool, when I go into a sequence and look at the recipe, it's references back to Objects and presets in DataPool 1 instead of the new one.

IMHO that should not be
    * afterwards, you delete the 1 DataPool (because not needed anymore f.i.) and all references are gone
    ? if you copy DataPool 10 to 5 does this reference back to 10 or to the original 1?
    Then this could mean a bug OR intended. You need something to store things into - hence DataPool 1 as a default?

• If I copy DataPool 1 at 10 - go into DataPool 10, all groups, presets etc. in sequences reference DataPool 1.

If I copy DataPool 10 at 15 - go into DataPool 15, all groups, preset etc. in sequences STILL reference DataPool 1.

If I go back to DataPool 1, and do an operation like: delete group thru. Go back into DataPool 10 or 15, any recipe line that referenced a group is now blank.

-Rob

• I would not say this a bug. Copying an object keeps the references the same as in the original object. In this case the references just happen to be in a different DataPool. What could perhaps be added are some options when copying across data pools, maybe something like:

• Keep Original References (what it does now)
    • Replace References, but keep original if corresponding object does not exist in new data pool
    • Replace References, and discard original if corresponding object does not exist in new data pool (possibly resulting in hard values in some places)
  • The way it works now does make perfect sense.

However this is definitely a big use case argument to be made for the second way where every item contained in the datapool keeps its internal references.

I still think datapools are fairly useless in practical applications right now. A long while back I made the suggestion that within a preset pool you should be able to select the data pool to use. IMO this instantly makes them a powerful tool because you can be working from multiple pools at once (for example the ‘house’ presets and your show presets).

Not sure if there has any progress on this idea or if there ever will be.

• When the patch initialization part of PSR becomes a thing, then DataPools become a super easy way to merge show files (e.g. at festivals), because you can just import the entire datapool as a separate object and have your entire show with everything in the same position without having to worry about moving things around, etc.

within a preset pool you should be able to select the data pool to use.

Yes of course you should be able to. This was my understanding of the plan from the beginning. And of course with any object type within the datapool, not just preset pools.