Speed of phaser according to width of step

BECOME PART OF THE COMMUNITY - Sign up here
  • Hi all

In a multisteps phaser, when i change widths, it changes speed.

This seems quite understandable but then my speed doesn't mean anything.

If i do Learnspeed, it's not good. I would need to do something with rate, but there is no such value in my phaser.

And if number of fixtures changes, i need to recalculate widths and speed.

Is there any better solution ?

Thanks

• As a fundamental width is directly related to speed.
    Speed is the rate of the entire cycle. Width is the percentage each step fills of the cycle. So changing the width of a step will always affect the speed.

• Yes of course.

But then my speedmaster or my learnspeed is irrelevant

That was not the case in gma2.

I want a dimmer chaser. So with 12 fixtures, step 1 closed, width 92, step 2 open, width 8 (100/12)

So each fixture opens solo.

So if i want one fixture every second (like a clock for exemple), in need to set the speed at 60/12=5 BPM

So far so good. If i assign a speedmaster or just habe a speedfader, speedmaster at 60bpm will run my chaser at 6bpm (original speed).

At 240 Bpm, i just multiply my speed by 4.

This not the behavior i want.

All these are very disturbing.

• If i do Learnspeed, it's not good. I would need to do something with rate, but there is no such value in my phaser.

the programmer layer labeled "Speed" is technically a SpeedRate layer, normalized at

1 Second = 1 Hz = 60BPM = Rate 1:1

to enter this value in a rate friendly format, try using the units Hertz (Hz) or Seconds, instead of BPM

e.g. a rate of 4:1 may be entered as 4 Hertz

Speed Hz 4

e.g. a rate of 1:4 may be entered as 4 Seconds

Speed Seconds 4

If using calculator instead of commandline, there is a unit-toggle switch in the upper left corner to achieve the same functionality