Grand MA 3 MAgic button - On my show it says GridPos next to width and not present on At section

BECOME PART OF THE COMMUNITY - Sign up here
  • Hi guys,

I am currently completing the online training and noticed that the trainer has his MAgic button where my GridPos button is?

I am using 1.5.2.1

Any ideas why on the training on the MA university his MAgic on the At and on the command section next to Width

• The Magic workflow changed:

• The MAgic layer was renamed to GridPos.
    • The MAgic values (now GridPos values) are now always activated automatically when entering attribute values or if calling presets. Therefore, they are automatically part of a preset when a preset will be stored.
    • With the automatic creation of the MAgic values (now GridPos values) on the GridPos layer, it is now possible to have different GridPos values for different attributes of the same fixture which expands the creativity.
    • Presets have now a MAgic property (edit the options of a preset, e.g., by executing EditOption Preset x.y). When the MAgic property is enabled, the preset will behave as a MAgic preset and distribute its values across the range of selected fixtures when calling it.
    • The Commands At MAgic and Off MAgic are obsolete now. If you change the grid position of fixtures and would like to apply the new GridPos value you can use At GridPos.

Important: MAgic Presets must be stored as selective.

• I use version 1.6.1.3 on Windows.
    For position presets it works according to your instructions. For color presets only the second color is displayed.

I rebuilt the example from the video tutorials and adapted it according to your instructions. All profile lights are blue. The red is not used. There is no problem with the Postions preset. I think this is probably a bug only for color presets.

• Please make sure you are storing the preset as Selective. If you store it as Global, it will not work properly. The default PresetMode for Color is Global, while the default for Position is Selective, which is why this would have worked if you were just using the defaults for everything.

• I paid extra attention to Selective. When I take MAgic out again, the two lights have the correct color. But with MAgic it only shows blue (it is the 2nd color).

*Edit*

In the meantime I got it to work. However, I can reproduce the error again and again. I'm still trying to figure out for you when it occurs and when it doesn't.

• I don't know. I first thought it was the profiles 5 and 6. Because it has worked twice with the profiles 1 and 2. But now it doesn't work with 1 and 2 either. I have now tested different combinations. Nothing helps. Currently I can not get it to run. A restart did not help either.

• Are you also making sure to have both fixtures selected when you apply the color (e.g. fixture 1 + 2, next, color, next, color)? If instead you do something like "fixture 1, color, fixture 2, color", then they both have the same selection grid coordinate, and thus MAgic cannot interpolate / stretch from there.

• If you click on the preset, both profiles are highlighted in yellow in the 3D window for working and faulty presets.

However, in the Selection Grid, two boxes are shown for the working ones and only one for the incorrect ones. I think that is the error, but why only one box is shown, I do not understand.

• In grandMA3, multiple fixtures can have the same selection coordinate. By default, from an empty programmer, fixtures are placed starting at grid coordinate 0/0/0. So if you...

1. Select 1 fixture, it will be at 0/0/0
    2. Then you modify it
    3. Then you select a different fixture. The selection of the second fixture resets the selection, thus the second fixture will also be at 0/0/0

Whereas if you select both fixtures first, one will be at 0/0/0 and the other will be at 1/0/0. Thus when you enable MAgic, the software knows to stretch across the X-axis.

• Ok , I see.
    According to your instructions with NEXT it works. But I had not done this way the two times it worked.

I have selected the lamps via the fixture sheet. Then set the dimmer for both, then clicked on only one lamp and gave it a color and then for the other. After that I selected both lamps again in the Fixture Sheet. In the Selection Grid it is also displayed correctly. But when you save it, it seems to lose some info about the Selection Grid.
    But then I have a solution for me for now.

• When creating the content for the preset please make sure to use either worklflow A, B or C and not D

A)

Fixture 1 + 2

Next

select Red in colorpicker

Next

select Blue in colorpicker

-> Magic should work

B)

Fixture 1

Fixture 2

Fixture 1 + 2 At GridPos

-> Magic should work

C)

Grid 0

Fixture 1

Grid 1

Fixture 2

-> Magic should work

D)

Fixture 1

Fixture 2

-> MAgic will fail

Both red and blue are located in the same grid cell, 0.0.0

No mather how much this pattern is streched via Magic, one color will always fully be covering the other

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!