Get Console Timezone

BECOME PART OF THE COMMUNITY - Sign up here
  • So I'm using some LUA to get the desk time and use it for the SaveShow command.

Lua'SetVar(UserVars(),"SHOWNAME", os.date("SHOW-NAME-%Y-%m-%d-%H-%M")'

SaveShow $"SHOWNAME"

The issue I am having is if I set the Console to some timezone other than UTC then the os.time() returns the UTC time.

I noticed that Root.2.1 stores the TimezoneStr. is there somewhere I can get the current UTC offset?

Otherwise I could hard code it except for Daylight savings or just set the desk to UTC since I'm not using any of the Sunset stuff.

• Hi , here John,

The currently configured time zone is set in the /etc/time zone file. To view your current time zone you can cat the file's contents.

By giving it the argument +%Z , you can output your system's current time zone name.

• I haven't tried this on a console yet but as the locked bot above says on Mac or a console os.execute("date +%z") returns "-0500" for me, somewhat easy to parse, while os.execute("cat /etc/timezone") should return something like "Canada/Eastern" that you can look up in the TZ Database. If onPC in windows perhaps os.execute("tzutil /g") could be a start.

• to my understanding, the relation between bios/os, utc/local and actual gma3 session-time are handled differently internally on Consoles with dedicated Linux OS, compared to the onPC application running on a host OS (Mac/Windows).

try a function like this to get the session time on any platform, while utilizing all the format options of os.date:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!