BECOME PART OF THE COMMUNITY - Sign up here
  • There are some good phone apps out there that you can use to focus and set lights with when you are in the lift If you mean RDM that way. If you to control remotely away from your console, you can place a wing via art net back stage or somewhere if you are talking about RDM this way.

John Cerbus
    Lighting Director/Programmer
    Victory Church Fremont, Ohio

• I know I'm coming back at it, and i know it is no small feature.

But i have to admit that I, and certainly others, would love to have RDM compatibility on our dot 2.
    Secondly i don't really understand why not implementing it in the first place? I work mainly in small to medium sized theatre which all have the benefit of having some RDM fixtures, but this benefit is lost because my desire is to work with the MA philosophy because i like it and i like your products (dot2 more precisely as I would never need an overkill gMA2 in those places which have RDM) and i do not wish to turn over to the dark ETC side which on their new ColourSource 40AV console (direct dot2 concurrent to my eyes) have enabled RDM.

Would you be kind enough to explain to me the reasons of not implementing RDM? Is it a hardware problem (like pins 4-5 of the dmx connectors are not soldered to the pcb?)?

Thanks for your time.

Edited once, last by Yaneck (August 15, 2017 at 8:27 AM).

• If you are talking about RDM (Remote Device Management) MA dot2 now has with software version 1.3 Web Remotes! You can connect/disconnect with a web browser based remote! This allows you to to remotely control the console from a cell phone or tablet device. You can do quite a bit with it.

Any you always had the ability to locate console wings anywhere you want them via eithernet to control the console.

This is perfect for our church and theater work, especially the Web Remotes!

John Cerbus
    Lighting Director/Programmer
    Victory Church Fremont, Ohio

• Yes I am talking about that. And I already am very grateful for that web remote which has been pretty useful. But managing the console from a remote location is not only what RDM is about. It is also about managing distant fixture from the console (for example: adressing fixtures, changing fixture mode, etc...). For example I work in a theatre which has quite a lot of ETC's source four LED which are "RDM-able" and I would love not to have to always go to the fixture to address it and choose it's mode of operation but to simply do it from the desk.

• " It is also about managing distant fixture from the console (for example: adressing fixtures, changing fixture mode, etc...)."

That is the main purpose of RDM and one of the last development about dmx. Every new great fixture come to the market with RDM abilities and i can't imagine that MA lighting wouldn't add RDM functions to the DOT2!

• Just curious about this.

It's not just for remote device control (focus, tilt, etc) in my opinion, but to me it is important to be able to monitor my fixtures' errors, lamp life, set the addresses remotely without having to drag the scissor lift out to make changes . . . etc.

Christopher Palazini
    Co-Technical Director / Lighting Director
    Black Rock Church, Fairfield, CT

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!