BECOME PART OF THE COMMUNITY - Sign up here
  • Hi everyone

I imported a 3D model of my theater in Gma3 software

Since then, there’s a lag on the 3D window.

The number of FPS has lower from 68 to 7 since i imported the model.

no changes when I give priority to 3D.

The model .3ds weights 7mo (doesn’t seem heavy)

My computer us a Omen over powerful

The graphic card is a RTX2060...

There should not be any problems according to me.

Any idea ?

Thx for your answers

John

• What is 7mo?

Oh, and why 'must'it be a 3D-Model of your theatre - doesn't it help to have a 2D Pic and maybe you add some elements from the builtin library to get similar results? Maybe your 3DS is 'only' 7MB (if this means 7mo), but MA3 3D has to calculate every line as a vector grafic. You better keep that in mind...

Have you got a picture of your 3DS-Model for a better understanding?

RUN DMX! With my MA3-Wing, Vizkey, and 2K onPC-Node. :)

• Impprting lots of or big 3d objects and set pieces can tend to put more stress on MAs 3D engine.

However you should be able find a combination of rendering settings in the 3d window configurations tab that will allow the vis to run a little smoother. Often switching the beam quality to simple will boost performance. Making sure you have "ray traceable" and "cast shadows" turned off for fixtures and objects in the patch when it is not necessary, can sometimes boost 3d performance as well. When your not outputting any dmx or artnet to any real fixtures switching on "3d priority" can also reduce lag and up framerates. This option can be switched on in the "configuration" section for the 3d window (accessed by tapping the "ma" icon in the top left-hand corner of the window). IT IS IMPORTANT THAT YOU DO NOT RUN THIS OPTION IF YOU ARE USING REAL FIXTURES.

Worth noting that all adjustments made in the "configuration" section of your window will be saved in whatever view pool object you may store the 3d window to. Alternatively, you can export your configurations for easy recall when using them down the line in other showfiles. This concept applys for all windows in GMA3.

Hope this helps John ;)

• 7Mb is a fairly hefty chunk of data for a single 3DS model[Triangle/Polygon/Vertex count?]...could you possibly provide the file to evaluate? You can message me if you're reluctant to do so for proprietary concerns.

...always happy to help out.

• Another precision,

When I select the "Wireframe" option in the Misc parameters of the 3D window, I get back my 68 fps...

Maybe is there a problem in my 3D textures ? (Besides, I didn't use complex textures...)

thx

• I believe that you are on the right track, John. I took a look at the file and that strikes me as a place to start optimizing the shape.

1. I have never found MA3D to handle texture bitmaps applied to shapes well, this is where it chugs. To that end I use no bitmap textures when creating shapes/models for MA3D. I also use as few Materials as possible, which substitute as Bitmaps just fine, the only exception would be some sort of Alpha related transparency for a special effect or visualization. Not really needed for working the lights in the software...in the Stage View. Rendering out for promotional reasons or client cultivation, sure, art it up...

2. A very fine model, brother, my compliments! I did notice quite a bit of detail that, again, is not really needed when representing the fixtures in a 'working' situation, which you are experiencing at the moment. The bolt holes in the dimmer connector panel brackets in the grid generate a TON of extra faces that are chewing away at your system...these minute details, which will never be seen by the end user, are what can cause a bottleneck in the render pipeline.

I think your performance will definitely improve if you go back over the Scene and eliminate the UV mapping to the all of the shapes that have it, not really needed if you are just applying a simple color/diffuse Material for the visualization. If you want to keep the mesh/alpha .JPG...go ahead, I only saw the single bitmap embedded in the Scene, but be prepared to shed that from the environment if things still chug.

I'm gonna try a few things here, lot's of 'free time' on my hands, ahem, to see how small I could get a good representation of the venue for programming. Again, a great looking model!

Good luck!

PS: the soft goods as well can be causing rendering issues, with the many actual 3 dimensional folds you've included...they could in be visualized as flat panels the actual width, all those shadows, sure look nice, but bogs things down in the 3D Views...

PPS: here's a quick and very dirty optimised file back...all UV's removed, will kill your .JPG textured object's visualization but the file is now 1/2 the size it was...give it a try/evaluation. There is more that probably could be done, more mesh group/material optimizing...like grouping all similar shape[all the hang pipes, etc] using a similar material, these types of steps really do help by keeping things simple for the systems to digest...I even 'crunched' the vertices from over 200,000 down to like 30K...I think that MA3D does some 'unwelding' when reading the 3DS shapes/groups, as the size tends to bloat once Imported into the system and inspected.

• Ok guys,

I rebuilt the doors that were in the model.

(These doors were in fact very much detailed... with screws and hinges ? )

I also trashed the textures of every material.

As result, the model is now 1Mb weight

And 6 times less polygons

I’ll try to upload it tomorrow in console

• Ya, once I went back over the model, I saw the doors, the hinges, the handles...all unnecessary details that bloat up a file very quickly. I would probably even go as far as only having a Mesh Group per Material...it might involve many 'differing' objects becoming part of a grouping, but it will even bring the size down. Several of your Mesh Groupings has subSets of polygons with Materials, further complicating the end result. The railings seemed to be separate groups, each with it's own Material, when they don't need to be.

Good job, that's quite some optimising for the first pass...:thumbup:

Oh, and as a habit, once a Scene is all finished with constructions, I grab all the vertices and 'weld' them together...optimise, or whatever scheme your CAD program utilizes to eliminate duplicated/overlapping vertices...any Materials should be 'one sided' with Front being the choice...that may keep the Export process from creating faces where you won't see them...thus need them, also helps let you know in your CAD program if the faces are facing the 'correct' way...to be seen/rendered.

Edited once, last by Rex (February 23, 2021 at 2:47 PM).

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!