Cooking Recipes with Inverts

BECOME PART OF THE COMMUNITY - Sign up here
  • Has anybody figured out how the inverts for recipes work?

If I'm not misunderstanding how they are supposed to work, they should, in theory, allow you to create symetrical circles again.

However, I can't figure out what they are actually doing:

I've created a global/universal preset that relatively offsets the moving light in a circle. This works as expected. I can apply wings,

groups and blocks in the recipes and cook a new preset using a group and the global/universal circle preset. The fixtures are offset by phase from

0 to 360 deg using the recipe's Phase From and To fields.

So far, so good. Now I try to enable the InvertX option with invert style pan. In theory, the fixtures should now all invert their pans,

and as such, circle in the opposite direction. However, at least for me, nothing changes. Things get even weirder when I try the option I actually

need for symetrical circles: the invert wing option. When I enable the XinvW option, things go absolutely haywire:

Fixtures 1, 4, 5 and 8 of the 8 fixtures (from L to R) do exactly the same thing as before, when fixture 5 and 8 should actually invert their pan.

Fixtures 2, 3, 6 and 7 are even weirder: they change into some sort of weird oval shape, which shouldn't even be possible when inverting the pan of a

pan-symetrical phaser.

I have tried to illustrate this with two pictures.

As you can see, 4 fixtures (the bottom left point in the phaser diagram) are still following the circular phaser,

the other 4 fixtures do something, I've tried to roughly mark their paths with purple, excuse the crude image editing :)

Has anybody also experienced this? Can anybody reproduce this, or am I just doing something wrong?

I can share a showfile with the issue if anybody wants to see what I did exactly.

• the current MAtricks Invert functionality is unfortunately not a Value invert as one may expect and desire for the relative layer.

the MAtricks Invert is currently :

A) an encoder direction invert :

e.g. turn attribute encoder clockwise -> yellow non-inverted fixtures will increase, green inverted fixtures will decrease

B) an align direction invert

e.g. At 0 thru 100 -> yellow non-inverted fixtures will align 0->100, green inverted fixtures will align 100->0

What you see is a result of scenario B, your phase range being distributed in reversed direction to pan attributes of your inverted fixtures.

Hopefully we will see an actual Value invert for the relative layer, in the next iteration of phasers&recipes

• Thank you, that explains it!

Maybe the folks at MA could clarify this, because the very slim documentation we do have is, in my opinion, very ambiguous on this topic:

Invert options has been added to the MAtricks. The invert options allow an easier and more advanced manipulating of values. With invert, it is possible to define on which axis in the selection grid the values should be inverted when turning the encoder or applying a range of values. The fixtures that will be inverted, are displayed in green in the fixture sheet (font color), 3D (body color), and layout window (border color). Furthermore, it is also possible to limit the value invert to pan and/or tilt

"[...] or applying a range of values [...]" of course makes sense with the context you have just provided, but could very well be understood (as I had) to include the selected preset.

Despite this ambigúity, I think this behaviour makes very little sense with the invert style being limited to the options pan, tilt, pan+tilt and all. In fact, I could think of more use cases changing the phase, fade or delay layers of dimmers and colors independently for example, than the pan + tilt attributes.

So, yes, hopefully we will see that actual value invert, because the current version of MA3 is making it very hard to quickly create any kind of symetrical effects.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!