MA3 Parameter count method - all or only patched?

BECOME PART OF THE COMMUNITY - Sign up here
  • Just a quick question I could not really find an anwer to (although I suspect what it is, but wanted to make sure).

Does MA count all fixtures in the show for the parameter count. or only those who are patched? I ask because I have a bunch of dummy fixtures and plan to replace them with the actual lights I am using, but leave the rest in place as not to mess up the spacing. With all the dummy lights I am running close to the limit of the console I have acces to :D.

• You can patch more parameters than you have unlocked.

The parameters that can be output are counted from the first universe onwards.

This means: Unpatched fixtures are counted to the total parameters but do not count against your license.

Furthermore, fixtures patched to higher universes may not be outputted, because their parameters exceed the licensed parameters. (Therefore, you can decide with the granted property in the DMX Universes if this universe shall be counted for the license or not.)

• Oh, that sounds good! So if i use onPC only then to be 'save' i should use universes above 10 for lamps that are currently not needed but wanted in the patch (if I use lamps that exceed the parameters overall)?

Because 4096 Parameters might be about 8 Universes (and maybe a liitle bit more depending on the Parameters used).

In my old show from my old system, I integrated every lamp that is available in my 'neighbourhood' to have them ready and integrated in the show when they are used. And i was searching for a way to do that in MA3 to. But due to the parameter limitations this seemed to be a problem for me.

Maybe your hint is a good solution for that. But maybe someone can tell me if there is another way to build up a 'universal show'.

How do other MA lighting operators solve this problem?

RUN DMX! With my MA3-Wing, Vizkey, and 2K onPC-Node. :)

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!