Phasers and Relative Points

BECOME PART OF THE COMMUNITY - Sign up here
  • I'm assuming it's just a change of workflow for me, but want to make sure I'm going about this the right way.

When it comes to position phasers, my mind is saying, grab this group of lights, put them in a position with intensity (through presets) then go to the phaser editor and add a couple of relative points to get them to move (lets just say a simple circle in the audience). As soon as I add one relative point however, it moves those lights to that point. I understand if I record those same lights into a cue at full facing the audience, then while that cue is running I can add a couple of relative points and it works as I expect, without moving where the fixtures are pointing. I can also record a simple circle without P/T position information and record that into an all preset, then grab the lights, move them to the crowd and apply that circle. Is there not a way to simply grab the lights in the programmer, put them in a position preset and then apply a relative circle to that position before recording a cue?

Hope this all makes sense!

• You're building the circle in the same programmer part as the static value. If you change to a new/different programmer part (either from the title bar of the fixture sheet or from the Programmer Parts window) before building the relative circle, it will work as you expect.

I can also record a simple circle without P/T position information and record that into an all preset, then grab the lights, move them to the crowd and apply that circle.

The reason you're able to do it if you build the circle first, store it as a preset, and then recall the preset is that when you recall the preset the information is getting put into a new programmer part automatically. (Note about wording: "simple circle without P/T position information" is an oxymoron - the circle is position information. Also, you could use a Position preset rather than an All preset if you wanted to.)

Expect this workflow to improve in the future.

• Programmer Parts are generated automatically when using presets or editing cues. And they are deleted automatically as well when you clear the programmer. Think of the programmer as a single cue - cues have parts, so does the programmer.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!