Inserting 'non fixture' objects into 3D view

BECOME PART OF THE COMMUNITY - Sign up here
  • I would like to know how to get 'non fixture' (e.g. platforms, trusses etc.) into the 3D view screen. It used to be so simple in MA2 3D but there is a serious lack of help on these objects anywhere to be found. If anyone could please point me in the right direction of a video, documentation or help to explain what to do I'd be very grateful.

Thanks.

• It is a convoluted path, far more so than MA2. Every object is it's own fixtureType...you'd think a single 'fixtureType' of "model" or "set" and then just change the pointer within the datablock, rather than an entirely new datablock? Seems "klunky".

I did like the separate binary and linking into a Session...of MA2+MA3D and how hackTastic it was...lol.

Good luck!

• I got as far as getting a platform into the fixture list by 'inserting a new fixture' but it didn't appear in the 3D window. Am I doing something wrong or need I do something more?

• Figured it out. Had to exit the Patch window. Having got the 'platform' now visible and selected in the 3D window, next question is how do you adjust it's size?

• Go into Patch, At the top right corner you find a button labled Columns that is probably set to Condenced. Change that to Full and you will find many interesting attributes like Scale, 3D Visable, 3D Selectable.

Also, if you don't want a set piece to show up in the Fixture sheet remove both the CID and FIDs

• Yup.

... However, that being said. if you can figure out the magic incantation you can do it live from the command line.

set fixture 1 scalex 1.5 sets the x scale right away

Edited once, last by hoss (April 26, 2020 at 3:00 PM).

• While working on grandMA2 & grandMA3 it is a great disappointment that features in MA3D such as barn door and shapers for fresnels and profiles, non-fixture models of people, instruments, musicians and other elements from the Media Database, have not been carried through to grandMA3. Or have I somehow missed this, or will this be addressed in a future version of MA3? If it wasn't for grandMA2 not having a model of Martin Rush PAR2 Zoom that works in MA3D, I would stick to MA2 & MA3D. (Rant over :-))

Could anyone suggest what fixture type would fit for a Martin Rush PAR2 Zoom in MA2 to get it working please??

Edited once, last by rog_d (May 3, 2020 at 5:51 PM).

• it is a great disappointment that features in MA3D such as barn door and shapers for fresnels and profiles, non-fixture models of people, instruments, musicians and other elements from the Media Database, have not been carried through to grandMA3. Or have I somehow missed this, or will this be addressed in a future version of MA3?

Friendly reminder that MA3 (including the 3D window) is programmed from scratch, not a re-skin of MA2 + MA 3D. Rest assured Shapers / Barn Doors are among a long list of 3D window features to be implemented in the future. You've already seen there are a few non-fixture 3D models available. More will likely be included in the future as well. Plus you can import other objects as well (the easiest way is via MVR from from Vectorworks).

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!