Ipod/Iphone remote unstable

BECOME PART OF THE COMMUNITY - Sign up here
  • (Hi - I want to start a new thread about the Ipod/Iphone remote "freezing" problem. There are various comments on various theads in this forum regarding this problem. I am interested in any help suggestions and comments. Also any success stories).

The problem - Ipod remote connects to the console (GMA full) via a good strong wifi signal, then after a short time the app. "freezes". It is usually possibly to press the "consoles" button to exit, then re-login to the console. The remote works again for a while then freezes again. This problem makes my Ipod remote more or less useless for real work.

I have tried changing wifi channels and re-locating the router - sometimes the remote seems to work better, but then the "freezing" problem always comes back.

The wifi router is located on the side of the stage max. 12m from the remote. The wifi router is a newish D-Link DIR-635 N-Type MIMO (3 aerials).

The Ipod is Ipod touch, 8GB, new, model: A1288.

Q1. Does this also happen on windows-based remotes?

Q2. Is there some special set-up needed for the wifi router? Is there a way to test the wireless signal?

Any help and comments much appreciated.

Post Edited (04-10-09 14:57)

• I had the same problem with my iphone 3G and a ma light running 6.101. The iphone would only stay connected for about 5 seconds, the only way to keep it connected was to use it in such a way that there was constant input. As soon as there was 5 sec of inactivity i had to re log in. I never had any problems logging back in and it functioned fine while logged in. I tried a Dlink DIR628 and a linksys WRT54G set in multiple modes and saw no difference in the response. The iphone never lost the WIFI connection, it seemed to me as if it was a problem between the remote and the console only because as long as you didn't allow a 5 sec period of inactivity the remote worked fine. In an attempt to troubleshoot the problem i ran ONPC on my laptop and used the same router and iphone to connect to the laptop. The iphone maintained a solid connection with ONPC which makes me believe that the problem was not with the router or router settings. The last thing i tried was to run the latest remote emulator on my laptop(using the same two Routers) and try to use it as a remote with the MA Light. I had the same timeout problem as with the iphone , except that the timeout period was longer. I do not remember the length but i want to say it was around 20 seconds. I was not in a position to rollback the console software because of the show situation i was in. (i was using the backup console to experiment on) I did try the iphone both on the show network and alone with both the backup and live console. There was no change in the results.

Any ideas??

Comments welcome

• OK so there is a bug in 6.101 here is the problem..... updated show to 6.101 make alots of edits and changes but need the remote.. if I go back to 6.000 then my show doesn't load. This is a big problem. When will 6.102 be released or if the a way to get a 6.101 show to load back into a 6.000 console.

Geddy

• I've also found a bug with the remote (I think not only iPhone)
    Let me explain:
    I'm using two fixtures

I set fixture #1 with some parameters (pan/tilt/dimmer) into the programmer
    then I'll have the same at fix #2
    I'm typing : Fix 2 AT fix 1
    everything seems fine
    now when I want to move fix #2 (pan) then it completely loses it's position and will start from the middle and not from the current possition.
    Please check this bug!

• Geddy,

What I have done as a workaround is setup my remote user as Username:1 with no password. When the remote locks up just hit the <Console button in the upper left and then relogin (with no password you don't have to enter anything). Takes a couple of seconds but is still much faster than walking back to the desk.

My experience has been that it only locks up if you pause in using it so this allows you to punch in what you need for the most part as long as you don't take a break.

Not perfect - but still better than not having it...

• I have this issue on my iphone and have also experienced it with a windows based Dell Axim PDA with GMA Light...new software update wont install on my PDA so its up to my iphone but it's still very slow to use with this issue..

• mwalker_mw wrote:

> Geddy,
    >
    > What I have done as a workaround is setup my remote user as
    > Username:1 with no password. When the remote locks up just hit
    > the <Console button in the upper left and then relogin (with no
    > password you don't have to enter anything). Takes a couple of
    > seconds but is still much faster than walking back to the desk.
    >
    > My experience has been that it only locks up if you pause in
    > using it so this allows you to punch in what you need for the
    > most part as long as you don't take a break.
    >
    > Not perfect - but still better than not having it...

Thanks MW, I have a similar set-up with no password- Now that I know the bug is real I have been working as you say - not perfect but it does work mostly, a bit frustrating - I have a problem that if I do have to re-login, for example updating P/T presets sometimes the selection seems to be "saved" and I can use "Update" after a re-login, but soemtimes it doesn't and I have to start again... :( Still it is possible if you work fast!

Post Edited (04-22-09 13:08)

• Upgraded the system today to 6.110, GMA fullsize, everything good - Did a long focus session with the Ipod remote - it is working very well now. Just in time for our next move :) Much thanks to the MA team.

Ben

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!